Thursday, July 15, 2010

OtterBox iPad Defender Case...Finally!

I've previously posted about my OtterBox iPhone case. This case has saved my iPhone from bumbs, bruises, and possibly disaster many times. Because of the great protection this case has given my iPhone, I've been waiting, not so patiently, for the iPad version. It finally arrived this morning. The iPad Defender Case from OtterBox provides three layers of protection for my iPad: a polycarbonate case, silicone skin around the case, and an adhesive screen protector. In addition to the case, it has a polycarbonate cover that snaps over the screen to provide added protection. The cover also acts as a stand for my iPad if I'm watching a video or surfing the Web.

Luckily, I recently read a blog posting about putting on the latest version of adhesive screen protectors. Most of the modern protectors have 3 layers. You removed one side and that sticks to the screen. You work the air bubbles out and make sure the placement is good, then you remove the outer layer. I'm pretty happy with the way my screen protector ended up on my iPad. Then it was time to place my iPad into the case. I was shocked at how precise the case was. It was much tighter than my iPhone case. There is some felt-type fabric inside the case. I think this adds to the really good fit. Then I had to stretch the silicone sleeve over the case. The silicone fits well with some tabs that "snap" into the hard case to hold it in place.

While this case does add a bit to the weight and "heft" of my iPad, I really like this case. The silicone around this case reduces the slipperiness of the iPad and makes holding feel much more secure. Additionally, with the cover snapped over the screen allows me to feel very comfortable slipping my iPad into my backpack or even my waterproof bike pannier. The one real drawback to this case is the price. $90 is a lot to spend on a case, but the peace of mind I have makes taking my iPad with me to most places possible. So I guess the cost is worth the security.

No comments: