Wednesday, July 14, 2010

iOS 4 on my iPhone 3G

In the case of the new operating system for iPhone (iOS 4), I was an early adopter. I upgraded within about 48 hours of the update being available. Since my phone is an iPhone 3G I didn't get to take advantage of all the new features like multitasking. However, there were a couple of things that I was excited about. Specifically, I loved the idea of folders and the unified mailbox or threads when viewing mail.
After spending a few weeks with iOS 4, I decided it was not for me. There have been widespread reports of performance reductions. I must admit, I found the performance of my iPhone coming to a slow crawl. Simple things like opening an application took far too long. Everything just slowed down. Finally, I got to a point of regretting upgrading to iOS 4.
Of course Apple does not want us to quickly and easily downgrade to iOS 3.1.3. However, after a little searching, I found a great resource on lifehacker.com. You can check it out at "How to downgrade your iPhone 3G[s] from iOS 4 to iOS 3.1.3." It took about 20 minutes to get my iPhone back to the nice responsive device I've grown to love.
I'm sure iOS 4 will improve dramatically after a couple of updates. By then, I may be ready to upgrade to a new phone as well. For now, I'll just stick with what works.

No comments: