Monday, June 21, 2010

OtterBox Defender Case - iPhone & iPad

If you have an iPhone, you are likely concerned that it could get damaged, or at least you should be concerned about that. Those things aren't cheap! When I got my iPhone I new I'd want a good case for it. A case that could hold up to some abuse and protect my phone. Also, I really wanted something to protect the screen from scratches. I tried a couple of different cases and when I found the Defender Case from OtterBox I knew I found the case I was looking for.

This case has a hard polycarbonate case, surrounded by a silicone. The case also has a cover over the screen that allows you to use your touchscreen without removing anything. So the hard case is strong and protective. The silicone cover provides some bumper protection and give a bit of grip so your phone doesn't slip out of your hands. The screen cover does a nice job of protecting your screen. I've used my case for about 18 months now and have been really happy. I've dropped my phone a few times and it's survived just fine.



The case also gives you access to all the ports and controls. While, I'll admit the ringer switch is a little hard to get to without fingernails, it still works. I have two small  concerns with this case.

  • The screen protector does have some adhesion between it and the actual screen. So I get some strange shadows/shapes between the screen and the protector.
  • The case adds some "heft" to the iPhone. I knew this going in. The iPhone is slim and light, and I wanted to protect it. So The slim and light iPhone with a nice protective case is no longer slim and light. It still fits into my pocket just fine and I actually prefer the feel of it in my hand to an "uncased" iPhone. For some, this is just not an option. Of course, those tend to be the folks that buy new phones ever 3-6 months because they dropped their phone getting out the car and the screen cracked!

OtterBox has a Defender Case for the iPad coming soon, and I plan to order that as soon as it's available. Neither of these cases are cheap, but my experience with the iPhone case tells me my iPad will be saved from some bumps and drops too. So the cost seems worth it.